Launched in 1946, AAA’s School’s Open – Drive Carefully awareness campaign was created as a way to help reduce child pedestrian fatalities and injuries. The campaign kicks off each Fall and continues throughout the school year to remind motorists to watch out for children as they travel to and from school.
The spring of 2020 brought about unprecedented changes to our society and our education system. Health experts anticipate that COVID-19 will continue to circulate during the 2020-2021 school year.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has posted guidance to assist school districts in decision making. The following guidance is available for communities where schools have been officially designated safe to reopen.
Safety Tips For Drivers
Be sure to drive carefully when school is in session
- Watch for children on their way to and from school.
- Obey all school zone signs, signals, and markings.
- Look for AAA School Safety Patrollers and crossing guards.
- Watch your speed.
- Avoid using cell phones or driving while distracted, especially around school zones.
- Remember to use seat belts and appropriate child safety seats or booster seats when transporting children.