Unfortunately, celebrations can also lead to drunk driving, which is a top safety concern and leading cause of traffic-related fatalities and injuries on America’s roads.
No matter the season, AAA wants to emphasize the important role party hosts play in ensuring everyone has a good time and gets home safe.
- Designating a sober driver before the party begins is just one of several simple steps to help avoid a tragic crash or an arrest for impaired driving.
- Don’t rely on coffee to sober your guests up. Only time can undo the effects of alcohol.
- Don’t make drinking the main activity of the party. Engage guests in games, music and other activities.
- Provide plenty of food, which will help slow the absorption of alcohol.
- Don’t push drinks. Have fun alternative drinks, or “mocktails”, for those who prefer not to drink. If a guest appears to be drinking heavily, offer to freshen his or her drink with a non-alcoholic version.
- Never let a friend leave your place if you think they will be driving impaired. Call a taxi for them or arrange some other form of transportation.